Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Every Day Choices - Not a New Year Resolution

I'll get to the subject line in a moment. First I would like to go ahead and say YES I did get out for my five mile training run. And, as if I spoke it into existence, I had a t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e run. I felt like I had bricks tied to my feet and that I was actually running through quicksand. The route I had planned was very hilly. I didn't know this prior so imagine my surprise as I'm prancing along and WHAM another hill. Streams and streams of foul language were exiting my mouth. I had 5 miles on the docket and the planned route was almost 6. I got to 5 and decided that was enough. During my 5 miles I stopped to take 3 30 second rest breaks and I walked up two hills. I'm telling you I thought I was going to die. Lesson learned. If you drink too much and vomit the night prior, don't expect one day of marginal hydration to fix it. Now, as I told myself and you earlier, I was going to pick out something wonderful about each run no matter what. This run was wonderful a)because I got my lazy ass up and DID it when I really wanted to continue napping on the couch with my love and b)because I didn't quit and turn around to go home before my amount of miles were up. I did it. It's in the books and I started my new year off full of fitness. 

Now, as for the subject line. During my run of death I passed a church that had that in it's little announcement board sign thing by the road. I thought it was really interesting. I'm not a huge fan of resolutions. I think that if something is important enough you should resolve to do it immediately and not have to have a specific time. I mean, I get it. New year, new aspirations, whatever. But, I really liked the message of this. We all have choices and we make them daily. Should I take the stairs to the second floor or just ride the elevator? Should I have ranch dressing or olive oil? Should I tell that woman at work that her jokes always brighten my day? Choices, folks. We make them every day and typically don't think much into them. Make your choices count. Not just for you but for all the people in your life that you love. 

Now. I'm off to nurse my sore legs and continue to hydrate like a fool. I've got a 3 mile run tomorrow. I'm running with a friend so we are going to do a 5k and follow it up with about 45 minutes of swimming. #omgimgoingtodie 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment