Sunday, February 16, 2014

Fitbits and Long Runs

Well. I’m one of the pack now. I got a fit bit.
I can’t help but think that this particular piece of techy fitness gear feeds directly into my absolute need to control everything. I now know how many steps I take per day and how my sleep went the night before. Now, I’m obviously a runner. I have a stand up desk at work. There’s no need for me to try to obtain yet another “goal” on another app on my phone. But here I am pacing trying to make sure that I obtain my 10k step per day mark. So far I do like it and I feel like it is worth the money I paid. I’ll keep you all posted as to whether or not it gets wrapped back up and returned.
 
Some ladies and I at the office had a really serious discussion about food today. We talked about what makes us eat (aside from hunger), how we feel when we eat and how we feel after. It’s really interesting to hear from other people. Some people used food for comfort where others used food to hide. Some people are ready to commit to a healthy lifestyle and lose their extra weight but are so afraid that they will lose themselves in the process. It made me really start thinking about my own personal relationship with food. Healthy…not healthy…inbetween. How does it affect my self image? How much importance do I put into what the scale says? Do I allow my weight and food choices affect my overall self-esteem?

And I found that the answer to a lot of these questions is yes.  I know that after a long run I feel strong and able bodied. But I also know that when I eat a cookie I immediately feel a sense of guilt. I label certain foods as “bad” vs “good”. I still feel myself fall into the trap of thinking that a day is ruined if I don’t stick to a strict calorie count or if I slip up and have a treat.

While I was discontent while I was thinking about these things I also know that I’ve made a lot of progress. I’m to the point now where I don’t see food as an enemy and my body isn’t a tragic mess as I believed for so long. I know that I do great things for it and in turn it does great things for me.

Yesterday I hit the gym for some intervals on the elliptical, resistance band training and laps in the pool. I didn't want to take it too hard because this I have a long run planned for some point today. I'm trying not to be so crazy about "I have to get up at the ass crack of dawn to run 15 miles." This was, I'm choosing to include my run in my relaxing weekend as oppose to forcing myself to get up early and run in the cold. Two things I HATE. I'm going to head down there at some point even though I know that the longer I wait, the more crowded it will be... but that's okay. I want to enjoy it. 

Do you have a long run planned? How do you en corporate your workouts into your weekend plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment