Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Next Level

Today's long run didn't quite go as planned. I don't want to focus too much on it because I have something way more positive to talk about tonight. The weather was amazing (almost 50*!), sunny. I don't think I was as hydrated as I could have been and I had cookies for breakfast. Let's just say that from mile 1 I felt like I had never run in my entire life. My lungs hurt, my IT band was in pain from step 1. 

I just have to do better. Between food poisoning and back-to-back ice storms, I have missed a lot of valuable training. I'm going to kick it up a notch and make sure I'm doing everything I possible can. Tomorrow I'm getting up early to go to spin at 5:45. I think it's a 45 minute class so I'll finish out with some walking on a steep incline. Then I'll work. My running schedule says 4 miles tomorrow. Nice and light so I'll make sure to push as hard as I can and make those 4 miles into speed work. Then, I'll head back to the gym to hop back on the bike and do very light resistance to cool down my leg muscles. And finally finish the day with some yoga to get my abs right and my muscles nice and stretched. Tuesday is a total rest day - and I'll have earned it.

I plan on doing spin in the mornings before work as often as possible regardless if I run that day or not. I wont do spin on long run days. I want to swim on my super light running days and on my cross training day. I can do this. I must get stronger. 

I'm going to take my foam roller to work with me so I can foam roll throughout the day. I stand at work so I stay pretty loose. But, judging by my run today, that thing is relentless. 

I made a super healthy dinner. Quinoa Salad (quinoa, cubed mozzarella, baby spinach, red onions and tomatoes), chicken kabobs with red, yellow and green bell peppers, and asparagus. Delicious and full of protein. 

I can't help but be excited. Today's run really made me realize that if I want to run this marathon in less than 15 hours then I have to do more. Circumstances have sucked but that's simply an excuse. Going to make it happen. 

Did you have a long run this weekend? How'd it go? 
What does it take to get you back on track if you've fallen off the wagon?

No comments:

Post a Comment